Thursday, October 15, 2009

Creative Writing

I must say that I'm not much of a creative writer myself, but I really do enjoy reading the works of those who are talented in creative writing. I had chose the article on descriptive writing because I really thought that it showed really good examples of description and how and where to apply it. The piece of information that I'm taking from it would be the 'show don't tell'. When you are writing, you want to show your audience what you're trying to say, not have them need to sit there and try to paint their own picture in their head. I've always enjoyed the stories that paint the picture of the setting, or characters in your head and reading it is almost like watching a movie. I find that when books are detailed like this, its hard to put them down. This may sound nerdy, but when I'm in the middle of a really descriptive book, and I need to go do something else I find myself thinking about the book, and wondering what is going to happen next. Those kinds of books are probably the best. I would much rather read a Harry Potter book that is packed with characterization and details than watch a movie lacking description. I think that creative writing is in the top two most important forms of writing. It can be personal, or shared, and is a great way to show what you're thinking through great details.

No comments:

Post a Comment