Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Book to a Move? Not always great..

I have always been one of those people, who whenever asked how a book-turned-into-movie was, I always respond with a "oh the movie was good, but the book was MUCH better."
I found that I could relate with these articles on a few of the points they have made. Like the point that a couple of the articles made about how the Harry Potter movies are not as good as the books are. I would most definitely agree with this point. Personally, I am a huge fan of J.K Rowling's writings, and I have re-read the Harry Potter books many times over the 8 or 9 years they have been out. I have also seen all of the movies, and I would have to say the books are much better.
I understand the many problems and issues with trying to turn a great successful book into a motion picture. Books with magical elements might be harder to recreate than those books without the magic. Everyone is bound to imagine a scene with a dragon flying around spitting fire differently. To try and put that type of imagination into a film would be difficult. I actually know people who refuse to watch the Harry Potter movies because they are afraid the movie will ruin their perception of the magical aspects in the books.
However, I would have to say that I would much rather watch the movie The Godfather, than read the book. That is my personal preference of course, and I am sure there are people who would rather enjoy the book. Another personal example would be the book A Walk to Remember. I have done both; watch the movie and read the book and I would have to lean more towards liking the movie more. I guess it's really just up to the audiences preference.

No comments:

Post a Comment