Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Cover Letters

When I was in 10Th grade, I thought it would be a good idea to take a keyboarding class. Little did I know, the class consisted of typing formal letters, letterheads, and other business type stuff. After the first two weeks of that class I was ready to drop kick not only the computer, but the 100 year old keyboard teacher. So, needless to say, reading the article "How To Write a Cover Letter" brought back some very unwelcome memories. I totally understand the importance of a formal letter, and yea, nicely typed documents with letter covers and all those fancy letterheads and what not look nice, but they just make me cringe a bit.
I have personally never had an interview (my job was literally handed to me when I turned 15; lucky me) or ever had to fill out a resume, but I do see the importance of formal writing in job settings. My little brother is currently searching for a job, so he is in the process of filling out those pesky little applications for every fast food restaurant he can find, so this topic is somewhat fresh in my mind. Since he is only a junior in high school and he's applying for fast food jobs, he isn't really required to write out detailed cover letters on why Taco Bell should hire him.
I really didn't learn anything new after reading these articles, but I must say, these were far less boring than that year long keyboarding class I took years ago.

5 comments:

  1. Same here, I have never had the experience of writing a cover letter, but you can see the benefit. The more professional places (not fast food, trust me, I know) will look highly on a well-written cover letter or resume. And yeah, while it's a pain in the a** (and yes, I did have to censor myself) to write, in the long run, they will help your chances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally, I never understood all the anxiety about resumes and cover letters. They all seem to follow a more or less fixed pattern, so it seems to me as long as you have some things with which to fill in the blanks, they shouldn't be much of a cause of worry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what it is like to struggle to find a job, and the importance of the resume and cover letter. I, on the other hand, will avoid working in fast food for the life of me. I will NEVER do it. I almost got the nerve to do it because I was so desperate for a job. Did you know that to apply to Burger King you have to submit a resume. That's why I didn't do it! lol. Until this summer, I never had written one...

    ReplyDelete
  5. it hink that we all think it's soooo easy to do but when you actually sit down to write one and have to follow certain guidlines it can be a challenge

    ReplyDelete